Where are the ships?
This is what I know or have heard about the fates of the ships we have sailed on. Any further information will be appreciated.
Mandalay — Still Sailing!! go to http://www.sailwindjammer.com
- Yankee Clipper – YC was in Trinidad since the old company went belly-up. In March, 2017, she was taking on water, not repairable and she was taken out of the water and scrapped.
- Flying Cloud: She was reported to be in the same boatyard as Yankee Clipper. Her status is unknown, but I heard a report she is not floating.
- Polynesia. She was the last of the Grand Banks Dory tenders (cod fishing). She was pictured in National Geographic in 1952. She was bought by the Portuguese government to convert to a floating museum about the Grand Banks fishery.She was seen several times this year (latest photo September 2016) in Aveiro, Portugal. She is evidently not been maintained, and in very rough condition. Polynesia is listed as an exhibition ship owned by the government.
These pictures were posted on www.shipspotting.com To find these pictures (and others) , you can do an advanced search, and use her vessal ID number: IMO 5023564
- Legacy.. abandoned off the west coast of Costa Rica, and later scrapped by the government
- Amazing Grace and other cargo ships: I have no information as to where Grace is.. Her functions were being replaced by 2000 by modern shipping containers.
Fantome .. Lost at Sea during Hurricane Mitch. See the excellent book by Jim Carrier, The Ship and The Storm
Canadian Sailing Expeditions
- Caledonia.. Last reported to be docked at a riverside park in Toronto