Dean and Karen’s’ Favorite Rum Punch
2007— Traditionally, after every tour in the islands, the guide offers a glass of his personal rum punch formula. They are all different and usually pretty good!
Over the years we have sampled lots of local formulations. When it came time to make our own, Karen and I decided we wanted more “body” than the typical punch. We found the one we liked best to be made by Wayne, who owns Baleine Tours in St. Vincent. He has a fast speedboat, and the last time we were aboard, we went from Bequia to Mystique. During the trip, we coaxed his basic mix from him. Once home, a little testing got it JUST right! Ocean Spray just happens to be the first bottle we made a full batch in!
After recent field tests in Barbados, we have decided to release it to the rest of the world!
- 2 & 1/2 cups Orange Juice
- 2 & 1/2 cups Pineapple Juice
- 2/3 cup Sweetened Lime Juice (such as Rose’s)
- 2/3 cup Grenadine
- 1 &1/3 cups 151 RUM (Bacardi works well)
- ~ 50 drops Bitters To Taste
- Fresh ground Nutmeg maybe 1 tsp. (You DID get some from the spice ladies on Grenada, right?)
Serve over ice, garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg
Makes 64 oz or 1/2 gallon or 2 liters. Serves 6-8’ish
240 calories (as if that matters after 2 of them)
substitute diet ginger ale for Pineapple juice, and we like it better. 150 Calories